NOAA increases chances for above-normal hurricane season..

Source: NOAA

Forecasters with NOAA say conditions are now more favorable for above–normal hurricane activity since El Nino has now ended.

Source: NOAA

So far this year only two named storms have formed and now the peak months of Hurricane Season, August through October have started.

“NOAA will continue to deliver the information that the public depends on before, during and after any storms throughout the hurricane season,” said Neil Jacobs, Ph.D., acting NOAA administrator. “Armed with our next-generation satellites, sophisticated weather models, hurricane hunter aircraft, and the expertise of our forecasters, we are prepared to keep communities informed to help save lives and livelihoods.” – NOAA Statement

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center have increased the likelihood of an above-normal Atlantic Hurricane season to 45%. The likelihood of near-normal activity is now only 35%. Below-normal resting a 20%.

More about El Nino

El Nino typically suppresses Atlantic hurricane activity but now that it’s gone, we could see a busier season ahead,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “This evolution, combined with the more conducive conditions associated with the ongoing high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995, increases the likelihood of above-normal activity this year.” – NOAA Statement.

Comments

comments